Thursday, August 11, 2011

Opera for Dummies

In my quest for some knowledge about alot of subjects, I am now embarking on opera.  No, I will not be taking opera singing lessons.  I have not put "singing opera" on my list of things to do before I can't do any things any more.  Nope, just want to know about the history, perhaps be able to memorize some names, some opera titles, etc.  When our daughter was young, I would "sing-talk" to her in a high dramatic voice.  "Oh, Daughter, are you ready to go to the store?" This simple question, sung in my loud "opera voice", slowly emphasizing each word and, yes, sometimes with passionate arm gestures, was immense fun and sounded way better than my usual chirp.  I highly recommend everyone try it.  If you live with critical people, i.e., children over the age of 11, then wait until they are out of the house.  Pick up a magazine article and sing it out loud as passionately as you can.  Low, medium, high, it doesn't matter. My voice seems to skip the medium ranges without warning - something akin to a pre-adolescent male. Would I do this in front of Himself?  No.  Himself has enough dirt on me.

My opera debut will be Anna Bolena, a New York Met HD viewing.  Not a live performance, but they are live in New York.  Four hours long.  I have been warned.   

No comments:

Post a Comment