Thursday, September 8, 2011

When Temporary is Really Permanent or How to Incorporate Dog Hair into your Design

Very similar to our stairs, 
except you need to add twelve 
years of spilled drinks,drops 
of paint,dog drool,dirt, etc.

We began adding on to our current home twelve years ago. I say “began” because  we may be unable to put a past tense on that statement. During the design phase, I told Himself that I wanted a big ass house with a large kitchen. Of course we did not have the budget to finish a big ass house. The analogy would be someone trying to build a Porsche with a Volkswagen budget. It doesn't happen, something will be missing. Ergo, several aspects of our house are still unfinished. But with the amount of time that has passed, we are currently into maintenance projects. These take precedence over   finishing initial projects. 
One such unfinished project is the interior staircase.  It is still construction grade wood. Had I known I would be writing this current description of those stairs, ten years after the stairs were put in, I would have at least painted or stained them back then. Himself keeps telling me it is too much work to sand them down now and paint them. He also says the paint will wear off in the traffic zone. I’m thinking it’s okay if the paint starts wearing off in a year or so, at least it will show that there was paint on them once. Plus, maybe the dog hair will float down the stairs easier with the painted finish, and hopefully it will collect in just one big pile on the landing. If I was to tackle this project now, what color should I paint them? Dog hair color? A stain color trying to fake a better looking wood? Or some totally out there color that screams,“I know the stairs are just construction grade wood, but aren’t they painted a cool color? We meant to do this!”  
Writing this, I am actually getting excited about this idea. Knowing that “someday” the stairs will be covered by finish wood, I can have some fun with this project. I’m visualizing patterns, words, mosaics of color. As Himself likes to say, “Nothing more permanent than a good temporary fix.”  This philosophy explains why our dining room table is a piece of 1 inch plywood with sanded and rounded corners, sitting on top of four 4”x4” “legs”. This “temporary” dining room table is now permanently painted bright “Safety Red” (this really is the color stated on the can). It functions, so now why would I still want a beautiful Amish-crafted dining room table?
Saying I do get this project going, how will the family get from one floor to the next?  Creatively, and with care. How will I keep the dog hair from blowing onto the drying paint? Hmm, perhaps I’ll use the dog hair as texture to keep the painted step from being too slick. Next step, let's go see the choice of paint stored in the garage. Since Himself won’t be too keen on me purchasing paint (yet) for a project that he sees as a big waste of time, I’ll be restricted to what is on hand.  
Of course this new project of mine will keep me from exercising for the next several days or weeks (are those tears of sadness or glee coursing down my cheeks?), and it may take a few more glasses of wine to make this tedious project more enjoyable (see comment above about tears), and it may change the whole look of the house since the staircase is seen from everywhere (again, see my comment above), but sacrifices must be made.  

The only downside I’m seeing is the fact that I’ll have to sand the old wood first. I’ll only do it if I can use the power sander. I hate the feeling, energy, and sound of hand-sanding large pieces of wood. It is right up there with fingernails on the chalkboard.  Then there is the dust from the sanding, followed by tremendous time vacuuming up the dust. And how much wine is in the fridge? Enough to start right away? Details, details, so many details.



No comments:

Post a Comment